The various kinds of home siding on the market today are manufactured with different materials, and unfortunately, those materials aren’t always the best thing for the environment. That is just one of the many reasons we are such strong proponents of James Hardie’s fiber cement siding. The innovative James Hardie company is fully aware of the environmental issues involved, and that’s why their materials are developed using the best green siding technologies they can find.
If you are interested in making your home more “green” and lowering your carbon footprint, we know you will be particularly interested in hearing the benefits of James Hardie’s renowned fiber cement siding.
What is Fiber Cement Siding, and how does it fall into the category of green siding technologies?
et’s take a closer look at the materials and other green features of this product.
1. James Hardie products are considered “green and sustainable” by industry pros. According to industry expert Joseph Lstiburek, BASC, MENG., PHD, PENG, “The single most important factor in green architecture is durability. If you want something to be green it has to last a long time. It has to handle water, heat and UV radiation. Fiber-cement handles all three extremely well.”
2. Unique ColorPlus manufacturing process bakes on paint in our factories delivering a quality, consistent finish, eliminating VOCs during exterior painting.
3. 15-year finish warranty ensures reduced need for repainting.
4. Installation of James Hardie fiber cement siding uses green siding technologies that assist consumers seeking USGBC LEED® certification.
5. Fiber cement siding is a sustainable product, manufactured from a combination of raw materials low in toxicity – wood pulp, cement, sand and water (which is recycled up to 4 times).
6. The James Hardie company considers the “green” factor in every aspect of their manufacturing process. Ten individual manufacturing facilities support their regional economies and reduce the environmental impact caused by the transportation of materials across the country.
7. The raw materials sourced for fiber cement siding have been extracted and processed near each manufacturing facility, which also reduces transportation costs and energy use.
8. The James Hardie Zero to Landfill project aims to reduce the overall amount of raw materials waste sent to the landfills by half.
Impressed? Why buy a siding that contributes to the degradation of the environment, when there is a gorgeous, affordable, durable option that makes use of the highest green siding technologies?
Here at Colorado Siding, we are not just impressed with how this product is made, but with how well it holds up to Colorado’s punishing climate extremes. It is also non-combustible, which can be of vital importance for our state’s residents who live in the areas which are under threat of forest fires each summer.
If you are about to add new siding to your home, and wondering if there are any real differences among types of siding . . . if you are looking for a product made using the latest green siding technologies by a company who is deeply interested in the environment, we believe you cannot do better than James Hardie fiber cement siding!