Nobody wants to get new siding–especially in the middle of winter here in Lakewood. However, the fact of the matter is–when you see certain signs of wear and tear on your siding, you simply may need to get it. So what are the ways your Lakewood home tells you that new siding is in your near future? Read below and find out!
- Dry Rot: Dry rot is caused by a fungus and is located right under the surface of your home siding. It may still look fine from the outside but the structure below is gone and this makes your Colorado home vulnerable to damage.
- Repeated Repainting: If you are painting more every 5 years it is probably time to get new siding–and even that there is something more wrong with it than just the appearance.
- Warped Siding: If your siding looks curvy or has large mound-like appearances on it the underlayer has probably started to rot and has compromised the siding and your home.
- High Heating And Cooling Bills: While your utility bills could be high for a variety of reasons–failing siding is one of the biggest reasons for this. This is especially true if you have any other signs of needing new siding.
- Cracked Siding: It is normal for a few cracked boards to appear with age or after a storm. These can be easily fixed. However, cracking could be due to damage beneath the surface and widespread cracking means you need new siding.
- Wall Damage: If the wallpaper or paint in your Colorado home are peeling it could actually be a sign that there is an issue with your siding. Typically it means moisture has made its way through the siding and is being trapped behind and coming out of your wallboard.
- Holes: These are always problematic because it means moisture has a direct way into your home’s wall. Usually, these are from pests, birds, and insects and likely, once you see them, which means it is time for new siding–and pest control.
- Moldy Siding: Mold usually grows in the seams of your siding and could be a sign that water has penetrated deep into your home. While you may not need new siding you need an inspection and a plan to curb future mold growth.
- Bubbling: You likely have water trapped beneath your siding if you see bubbling. It is almost always time to replace it under these circumstances to prevent significant structural damage.
- Fading: Here in Colorado the sun is tough on siding will eventually fade it. However, most siding is made to last decades before this happens. So, if you do see fading and your siding is under 10 years old–it could be a sign the coating has failed. It should be replaced and is likely under warranty still.
For more information on siding issues or to schedule an inspection on your Lakewood home’s siding due to any of these issues or others contact us at Colorado Siding today!